Tomato Sauce (gravy) As Taught To Me By Fran MestichelliFrom JoeyJoan 1 year ago
- 1 - 2 TBS olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped shopping list
- 1 bell pepper chopped shopping list
- 1- 8 oz package sliced mushrooms shopping list
- basil shopping list
- oregano shopping list
- fennel seed shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
- red pepper flakes ( optional ) shopping list
- A splash of red wine or sherry shopping list
- 1 16 oz can tomato puree shopping list
- 1 32 oz can of tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 TBS tomato paste shopping list
- pinch of sugar shopping list
How to make it
- In a 5 quart or bigger sauce pan heat 1 or 2 TBSP of olive oil.
- In the heated oil place chopped onion, cook til tender add 3 cloves of garlic & bell pepper.
- When pepper starts to get tender add sliced fresh mushroom.Cook till mushroom starts changing color
- Add your Spices. I like heavy on the basil,Oregano,Fennel seed, a little salt & pepper. This is where you make the sauce your own by spicing the way you like.
- Add a splash of wine or Sherry enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook til most of the liquid is cooked off
- Add tomato puree, tomato sauce, tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, add a pinch of sugar (important) Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour an hr allowing all the flavors to blend together and the sauce to thicken.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The CookJoeyJoan Burlington County, New Jersey
- Not added to any groups yet!