COCONUT POUND CAKEFrom kandi928 7 years ago
- For the cake: shopping list
- 3 cups cake flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter shopping list
- 6 oz. cream cheese shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 Tbs. pure unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut shopping list
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- For the glaze: shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature. Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325ºF. Grease and flour a cathedral cake pan or 10-cup Bundt® pan.
- To make the cake, over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until creamy and smooth, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the sugar and continue beating, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lemon and vanilla extracts. Reduce the speed to low, add half the flour mixture, then the coconut milk, then the remaining flour mixture. Beat each addition until just incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the coconut and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Transfer to a wire rack and cool the cake upright in the pan for 10 minutes. Set the rack over a sheet of waxed paper and invert the cake onto the rack.
- To make the glaze, in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the water, lemon juice and sugar just until the sugar dissolves. Add the mint and simmer for 3 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the mint. Brush the warm cake with the glaze. Let the cake cool completely before serving. Serves 16.