Guinness French Onion SoupFrom jaie 7 years ago
- 1 gallon of cold water shopping list
- 8 large Spanish onions shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1-1/2 ounces beef base shopping list
- 1-1/2 ounces chicken consomme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon basil, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 ounce garlic, chopped shopping list
- 20 ounces Guinness draught beer (plus some for imbibing!) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- provolone cheese slices, 2 per serving bowl shopping list
- Homemade croutons: shopping list
- stale bread, preferably round, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes shopping list
- butter shopping list
- parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- oregano shopping list
How to make it
- Slice onions lengthwise to form strips.
- Mix with 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion mixture on low hear until onions are soft.
- In a large stock pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a boil.
- At a boil, and beef base and chicken consomme.
- Mix in basil and stir well.
- Add cooked onions with garlic and oil, directly into water mixture.
- Return to a boil.
- When boiling begins, add Guinness.
- Return to a boil and then let cool.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt butter in microwave or saucepan.
- In a bowl, add bread cubes and pour butter over top. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Toast croutons in a 425° until lightly brown and crisp.
- To serve soup, put into a heat-safe soup bowl. Top with croutons and 2 slices provolone cheese.
- Put bowl(s) on a cookie sheet and bake in a 425° oven for 2-4 minutes until soup heats and cheese browns.
The Cookjaie Allentown, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!