Deep Fried CauliflowerFrom krumkake 7 years ago
- 1 large head of cauliflower shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- whole milk or half-and-half shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon onion powder shopping list
- dash of pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (I like to use a teaspoon of chicken base for a richer flavor) shopping list
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for deep frying (peanut oil tolerates the higher heat very nicely) shopping list
- For blue cheese dressing: shopping list
- 2 cups real mayonnaise shopping list
- ½ cup sour cream shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- couple dashes of each: garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard shopping list
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (if you can get Maytag Blue, it’s the BEST!) shopping list
How to make it
- For the cauliflower, wash, trim and cut or seperate the flowerettes into bite-size pieces, then lay the pieces on some papter towelling - you want the pieces to be as free of water as possible before dipping them. I usually lay more paper towels over the top and pat that down gently to absorb any liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk enough milk or half-and-half into the flour to make a batter the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add seasonings and whisk batter together well, but don't over-mix.
- (Note: I like to make the batter a few hours ahead of time so the seasonings have a chance to blend in and flavor the batter nicely.)
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees ( I use my electric skillet - remember to leave room for expansiion when the veggies are added!).
- Dip cauliflower pieces in batter and let excess batter drip off before putting cauliflower into hot oil (I usually use a slotted spoon for this).
- Deep fry until golden brown, and drain on paper toweling.
- Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing for dipping.
- For the dressing, combine mayonnaise and sour cream together.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar; blend well.
- Add garlic and seasonings, mixing to blend all ingredients together.
- Gently fold in cheese chunks.
- Chill well. Thin with a bit of half and half or whole milk if dressing is too thick.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating2 people
I'm going to make this for my veggie-phobic hubby tomorrow night!waterlily in Joplin loved it
I made this tonight -- my hubby was in the clean plate club and said I should definitely make this one again! Blue cheese dressing is his omnipresent dining companion, so I was pretty sure you had a winner for me with this one! Thanks again!waterlily in Joplin loved it
Love this recipe and I love my veggies..so I made it of course, ^5mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it