Mammas BiscuitsFrom catwoman 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450° F. (Back then it was a wood stove in the winter but Daddy got him an extra job so he could buy Mamma an electric stove to use in the summer time.
- Stir baking soda into flour and mix well.
- Mix shortening into the flour using your clean fingers until it kind of looks like little bitty gravels (coarse crumbs).
- Add buttermilk and stir with them clean fingers until you get a soft dough.
- Put out onto a floured counter top and push around (knead) easy about 10 times.
- Roll dough to about a half inch thick with this rollin pin and cut into circles with the top of a jelly jar (about a 2 inch cookie cutter).
- Place biscuits, just barely touching each other in a biscuit pan with no lard spread on it (ungreased pan).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or til they are nice and pretty (golden brown).
- Makes 12 to 14 biscuits.
The Cookcatwoman Jasper, TN
The Rating2 people
THANKS FOR ANOTHER GREAT BISCUIT RECIPE! CAROL LEEleebear in Brookpark loved it
My momma's recipe also, she used Lard or Butter.. some times she use bacon grease.. my favorite also.. today's shortning is not as tasty.. thanks for reminding me, I haven't made these in years.. gotta make them again. Thank you so much for posting...moreshirleyoma in Cove loved it