Roasted Autumn VegetablesFrom heatherbudapest 7 years ago
- 1 large sweet potato ("garnet yam" or other), peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces shopping list
- 3-4 medium red or yukon gold potatoes (or 1 russet potato, peeled), chopped into bite-sized pieces shopping list
- 1 acorn or butternut squash, or 2 delicata squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into bite-sized chunks shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 2-3 shallots, chopped fine shopping list
- About 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Some fresh thyme and rosemary, chopped (or a few pinches of dried, crumbled between your fingers) shopping list
- red pepper flakes (optional), to taste shopping list
- Optional: 1 bunch kale shopping list
- Optional: goat cheese (6-8 ounces) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Assemble all vegetables except kale in large baking pan, drizzle generously with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper and salt, herbs, and red pepper flakes to taste. Toss together until thoroughly covered with olive oil and herbs. Bake until vegetables are fork-soft, about 45 minutes.
- If using kale, prepare it while the other vegetables are roasting. Clean it, remove tough stems, and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Steam it for about 10 minutes until tender, then drain.
- When other vegetables are soft, if desired, mix steamed kale in with the rest of the vegetables. If adding goat cheese, crumble over the top of the vegetables and place under broiler until the goat cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.