Smothered Pork ChopsFrom dixiediner 7 years ago
- 4 pork loin chops shopping list
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon salt, divided shopping list
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, divided shopping list
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 large onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and shopping list
- coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 stalks celery, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
How to make it
- Trim excess fat from the edges of the pork chops. Sprinkle each with some of the 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Season 2 cups flour with the remaining 1 tablespoon salt and pepper. Dredge chops in the flour until coated on all sides, shaking off excess flour.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a deep, heavy skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to shake slightly, add as many pork chops as will fit without crowding. Fry, turning once, until well-browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chops to a plate and repeat with remaining chops.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and add onions, green peppers and celery. Cook until brown and soft, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over the vegetables and bottom of the skillet. Cook, stirring, until flour is golden brown. Slowly pour in 2 cups water. Stir, then cook until thickened.
- Place pork chops in a Dutch oven or divide between two skillets. Top with the gravy and vegetables. Cover tightly and cook over low heat until pork chops are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookdixiediner MS
Cookin Moms348 members
On A Budget557 members
I Like Food82 members
Back To Basics345 members
Southern Essentials223 members
Grandma Junes Kitchen85 members
Southern Cooks554 members
Good Down Home Southern Food195 members
Fall Dishes39 members
Basic Essentials57 members