Tomato And Garlic SauceFrom dandelion 6 years ago
- 3 T. olive oil shopping list
- 1 c. finely chopped onions shopping list
- 1 T. finely chopped garlic shopping list
- 4 c. peeled and seeded roma tomatoes or Italian whole pack tomatoes (chopped but not drained) shopping list
- 1-6 oz. can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 T. dried oregano crumbled shopping list
- 1 T. finely cut fresh basil or 1 t. dried basil, crumbled shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 t. sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a 3-4 quart stainless-steel saucepan, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the finely chopped onions in it over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 7-8 minutes. When the onions are soft and transparent but are not brown, add the tablespoon of finely chopped garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then stir in the coursely chopped tomatoes and their liquid, the tomato paste, oregano, basil, bay leaf, sugar, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, turn the heat to very low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour.
- When finished, the sauce should be thick and fairly smooth. Remove the bay leaf. Taste and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper. If you wish a smoother texture, pur'ee the sauce through a food mill, I use my stick blender.