Peach Jam to Drool ForFrom shandy 9 years ago
- 8 c. peaches, pitted, peeled, chopped the size of a pair of dice and slightly mashed shopping list
- 4 T. lemon juice, freshly squeezed shopping list
- 6 T. powdered fruit pectin shopping list
- 6 c. sugar shopping list
- 1 T. crystallized ginger, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 t. ginger powder shopping list
- 1/2 t. nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 t. ground cloves shopping list
- 1/4 t. allspice shopping list
- zest of 1/2 lemon shopping list
How to make it
- Sterilize the jars, rings and lids by using boiling water.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the peaches and lemon juice to a boil. Add the pectin and return the mixture to a boil. Stirring constantly, slowly add the sugar. Stir in the crystallized ginger, ginger powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon zest and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and skim any foam from the top of the jam. I always add 1/2 T. butter at this time to settle the foam.
- Carefully pour the jam into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space between the jam and the neck of the jar. Cover with the lids and screw on the bands. Process the jars for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath.