Incredibly Smooth Strawberry SorbetFrom scrumptious 8 years ago
- 3 cups strawberries shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold water shopping list
- 1 cup sugar (I used superfine and it dissolved really well, but I'm sure regular is fine) shopping list
- 1 T. lemon juice (I omitted this because I didn't have any, but I think it might have tempered the sweetness) shopping list
- 1 T. vodka shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender, puree the strawberries with the cold water. You may then strain to remove seeds, but I like the seeds and actually left my puree a little chunky.
- In a bowl, combine the puree with the lemon juice and vodka, then stir in the sugar until entirely dissolved.
- Cover mixture and refrigerate until quite cold.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and follow directions for your particular ice cream maker.
- Cook's Illustrated says "Scoop frozen sorbet into a container. Seal and transfer container to freezer for several hours to allow sorbet to firm up. (Sorbet can be kept frozen for up to 3 days.)"
- BUT we just ate it straightaway and it was perfect! And there were no leftovers...
- NOTE: This was a little too sweet for my tastes, but the high sugar content is part of the chemistry of the freezing process and part of the great smooth texture. I will continue to experiment with how little sugar is necessary for the great texture, and amend this recipe if I get new data! Please post a comment if you end up trying with less sugar (but still using the vodka) and let us know how it turns out.
The Cookscrumptious San Francisco
The Rating2 people
Oh this is the perfect excuse for me to get an ice cream maker lol. Not being able to eat dairy I'm always on the lookout for stuff like this! Thanks!jo_jo_ba in Oshawa loved it
This way great! My strawberries were really ripe when I made this so I cut the sugar in half because the berries were ripe enough. Definitely a redo!tbostek in loved it