Malabar Mutton BiriyaniFrom maddie 9 years ago
- basmati rice - 500g shopping list
- mutton - 500g (cleaned and cut into big pieces) shopping list
- onion (finely sliced) - 250g shopping list
- tomato (finely sliced) - 100 g shopping list
- 10 Green chillies shopping list
- ginger - 10 g shopping list
- 8 garlic pods shopping list
- pepper powder - 1 tsp shopping list
- turmeric powder - 1 tsp shopping list
- Cashewnuts - 10 g shopping list
- 4 sticks of cinnamon shopping list
- cloves - 4 nos shopping list
- cardamom - 4 nos shopping list
- curd - 1 tbsp shopping list
- fennel - 1/2 tsp shopping list
- mint leaves - 1/2 bunch shopping list
- coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch shopping list
- ghee - 1/4 cup shopping list
- oil - 1/4 cup shopping list
- salt - As reqd shopping list
How to make it
- Mix and grind the ginger, garlic and green chillies together till it becomes a coarse paste.
- Clean the basmati rice and soak it for about 30 mins. Keep it aside to be used later. Now, heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan (or a kadai). Add half of the sliced onions and fry them till they become golden brown in color. Keep them aside, and heat up the remaining oil. Season the fennel.
- Now add the rest of the sliced onions and cashews and fry till it becomes soft. To the paste you made above, add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Also add the curd, mint and coriander leaves and saute till the oil starts to separate.
- Add mutton and cook, till the mutton is 3/4th cooked.
- Add salt. Cook the rice along with all spices and salt, till it is three-fourth done. Grease a vessel with a little ghee. Spread half of the mutton masala and place a half of the rice over it. Pour 2 tbspn of ghee on top of it and sprinkle some roasted onion.
- Spread the remaining masala and top it with rice followed by ghee and fried onion.Close it with a air tight lid and put it in dum for 10 - 15 mins.
- Some tips:
- - We can put it in oven after layering it in a pyrex or oven safe bowl. Pre heat the oven for 200 degree and keep it for 10 mins.
- - If you are using a microwave, layer it in a microwave safe container and keep the power in defrost mode and set 10 mins.
The Cookmaddie Bangalore, IN
- Not added to any groups yet!