Parsnip Spice Cake With Ginger Cream Cheese FrostingFrom dond 7 years ago
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil shopping list
- ½ cup whole milk shopping list
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided shopping list
- 2 cups (packed) shredded peeled parsnips (about 3 large) – steam first to soften. After peeling the parsnips, cutting them into small chunks, and steaming the pieces, pass them through a food mill. After shredding, there may still be some larger chunks; make sure to chop these up thoroughly before adding the shredded parsnips to the batter. shopping list
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped shopping list
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature shopping list
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger shopping list
- 3 cups (about 12 ounces) powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Sift together flour, sugar, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, ¾ teaspoon salt, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves in large bowl; whisk dry ingredients to combine.
- Whisk eggs, oil, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl to combine.
- Pour this egg mixture over dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Don’t overstir or you run the risk of making a tough cake.
- Stir in parsnips and walnuts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in fresh ginger and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until frosting is smooth.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- This cake can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
The Cookdond Rockville, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!