Brown rice with carrots and mustard seedsFrom mbe 8 years ago
How to make it
- In a rice cooker, soak the brown rice with 1 ½ cups water for at least 45 minutes (wash before if wanted).
- Heat the oil on high heat and fry the mustard seeds, covered, until they splutter for about 30 seconds.
- At this point start the rice cooker.
- Add the onion to the mustard seeds and fry on medium heat for a good 15 minutes until they have turned a deep golden brown.
- Add the carrots and cook on high heat, stirring often, until the carrots have wilted a bit, about 5 minutes. If the carrots colour a bit that’s ok too. Season the lot and set aside.
- When the rice cooker is finished it’s first cycle, open the lid and add the carrot mix to the rice.
- Stir it in and add the remaining cup of water. The water should just be visible, if not add a bit more.
- Close the lid and set the rice to cook a second time.
- When the cycle is finished turn the cooker off and let the rice sit for 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice, season if desired, and serve.
The Cookmbe Vancouver, CN
- Not added to any groups yet!