Traditional Pecan Pie from ScratchFrom myhusbandcooks 7 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups corn syrup (F) shopping list
- 4 large eggs (F) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (F) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves (F) shopping list
- 3 tbsp. butter (melted) (F) shopping list
- 2 tbsp. bourbon (optional) (F) shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (C) shopping list
- 1 stick butter (cubed and chilled) (C) shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (chilled) (C) shopping list
- 6 tbsp. chilled water (C) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. sugar (C) shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt (C) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar (C) shopping list
How to make it
- (F) = ingredient for the filling, (C)= ingredient for the crust.
- Using a food processor, add the flour, salt and sugar. Pulse for 2 seconds so the ingredients are integrated.
- Place the butter and shortening in the food processor. Pulse for 2 seconds 5- 10 times. The butter and shortening should not be in large chunks.
- Add the vinegar and pulse again briefly. Now it’s time to add the water. Add it one tablespoon at a time followed by a pulse. By the fourth tablespoon, it should begin to look like it is sticking. Add the other two as you see fit. You want the minimum amount of water so that it is easy to handle, but not so much that your dough is chewy. I would not hesitate to add more if you are in a particularly dry place.
- Place the dough in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 20 min.
- Rolling out the pie crust: Remove your dough from the refrigerator and let rest on the counter for 5 minutes, longer if it is hard.
- Now, on a piece of parchment paper or on a well -loured counter, place your dough. Flour your rolling pin and the top of the dough and gently roll out the dough. It’s usually best to roll in one direction and turn the dough. Once it is about 14 or so inches in diameter you can stop.
- Using a 10-inch pie dish, gently fold the dough in half and lay it over the pie dish. Press the dough into the corners. Crimp the sides lightly with a fork or using your thumb and finger. Place in the refrigerator until ready.
- Finishing the pie: Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, add all the ingredients for the filling except the pecans. Whisk until everything is fully integrated.
- Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator. Layer the pecans across the bottom of the pie crust. Pour in the mixture and allow the pecans to float to the surface.
- Place in oven and bake for 80-90 min. By the end, the surface of the pie should bow upwards from the center like a bubble. Remove from the oven. Let cool for at least 30 min. If you serve too soon, the interior will be too loose (and molten hot). Once firm, serve by itself or with ice cream. Enjoy!
The Cookmyhusbandcooks Alexandria, VA
The Rating4 people
Mmm looks so good I can't wait to try see I'm tring to find new dessert ideas. And I think I may found a winner. Great Recipe.
5lovingmybabbyalways in Winchester VA loved it
Traditional Pecan Pie is one of those Southern recipes that I crave.High Five from me
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Wonderful...Wonderful. Any time of year is my favorite time for PIE and Pecan is on the top of the list. Thanks so much for your version. Got my "5".dottiet in Woodward loved it