Sweet Potato and Leek RisottoFrom myhusbandcooks 10 years ago
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth shopping list
- 2 cups vialone nano or arborio rice shopping list
- 1 cup champagne or sparkling wine shopping list
- 1 sweet potato (cubed and steamed) shopping list
- 1 leak (chopped) shopping list
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped thyme shopping list
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped marjoram shopping list
- 3 tbsp. butter shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
How to make it
- Cube sweet potato and steam until potato pieces yield easily under the pressure of a fork or pairing knife. Approximately, 15 min.
- NOTE: You are pre-cooking the sweet potato because of its density. If you did not, it would likely never cook completely in the risotto.
- In a pot or large pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Once the butter has stopped bubbling and has a soft nutty smell, add the chopped leek and salt. Cook until the leek has softened, about 2 min.
- Add the rice and stir until it has absorbed the butter and begins to give off a soft aroma, 3-4 min.
- Add the champagne and stir until the rice absorbs it.
- NOTE: I used champagne because that’s what I made for my in-laws, and the results were excellent. However, you may replace it. I used a champagne that had a nice spicy punch and added a good amount of flavor. Feel free to replace it with another white wine or even sake — you may need to adjust proportion — which I’ve used in a pinch.
- Add the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring regularly. You are looking for the broth to be fully absorbed before adding the next cup. It should take several minutes between each step. By the time you reach the last cup, it should be very viscous and the rice should be al dente (meaning it has a very slight firmness still to it).
- NOTE: You should begin tasting the risotto as soon as it begins to thicken, because the amount of broth needed may vary. If you are out of broth, you may use water.
- Once the risotto is al dente, add the black pepper, the white pepper, marjoram, thyme, and sweet potato cubes. Cover and turn down the heat to low and cook for 10 min. Add the parmesan cheese then salt to taste. Serve. Enjoy!