Granny Smiths Kale GreensFrom cdlsmith 7 years ago
How to make it
- Remove the stem from the kale and wash ( i usually rinse mine 3 times to make sure all the grit is gone. If using home grown you may want to add some salt to the water to kill any aphids or worms that might be on the kale)
- Heat about 4cups of water in a large dutch oven (medium heat)
- Tear the kale into large pieces and put in the pot
- Keep adding the kale to the hot water. Push it down with a large spoon.
- After all the kale has wilted add water so that the kale is covered
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the kale is very tender Approx. one to one half hours.
- Drain the kale in a colander and squeeze out as much of the water as you can ( I use the back of a large spoon)
- Heat 1/3 cup of bacon grease or canola oil in a large skillet
- lower heat to medium low and add the kale, it should sizzle (the grease may pop if you have a lot of water left in your kale)
- Saute the Kale for 5 to 7 minutes add salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) A couple of drops of your favorite vinegar . Balsamic vinegar is fabulous on these and some people like to eat them with hot pickled peppers or hot sauce.