Eggplant TumbetFrom inmaculada 7 years ago
How to make it
- It is a very popular dish in Mallorca island and a representative sample of Mediterranean cooking style. It is usually cooked and served in the same recipient, a hand made round ceramic pan made of clay and called “greixonera” .
- Wash, dry and cut eggplants in ½ inch thick slices. Dip in flour, tapping excess. Put 2 inches olive oil in pan and fry eggplant. Do not brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Cut peeled potatoes in ½ inch thick slices and fry, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Cut peppers in 1 inch slices and fry. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Peel and cut tomatoes in chunks, brown onion in the rest of the oil in pan and add tomatoes. Let it reduce to a thick sauce.
- Arrange vegetables in a round baking pan, bit enough to accommodate all the vegetables, starting with potatoes, eggplant, peppers and tomato sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for ½ hour, watching not to burn the top.
- It is best served at room temperature.