Half sour picklesFrom putercop 9 years ago
- 12 Kirby pickles (approximately 4" long) (I quarter them into spears) shopping list
- Lacking kirbys use firm smaller cucumbers shopping list
- 3/4 cup pickling spice shopping list
- 6 cloves of garlic (cut in half) shopping list
- 1 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 3/4 cup kosher salt shopping list
- cold water (not chlorinated tastes yucky) shopping list
- 3 celery stalks (optional I leave it out most of the time) shopping list
- 2 roots of dill (approximately) or 1 tbl dill weed (not seed) shopping list
- BIG glass jar (about a gallon size or mix liquid and a use a bunch of small jars) shopping list
How to make it
- wash pickles and celery and arrange in a jar in an upright position along with half of the pickling spice, cloves of garlic and half of the dill. Set aside.
- Mix 6 cups of cold water with kosher salt and white vinegar.
- Place in a large bowl and stir until salt is melted. The vinegar is what you need to adjust for flavor usually not the salt
- Taste. Should be sort of sour but not really salty
- Put water and salt mixture and vinegar into the jar until the mixture covers the pickles.
- Add the balance of the pickling spice and the dill.
- Seal and shake like crazy for a few seconds to blend all ingredients.
- Let this stand on the counter at room temperature, uncovered, or with the top just sitting on the jar but not closed, for one full day (24 hours).
- Check by tasting and if it is satisfactory, let it stand for an additional 2 days, uncovered. Adjust vinegar as necessary.
- . When the pickles turn dark greenish, cover and refrigerate.
- They will keep for 2 weeks in the frig... if they last that long.
- For sour tomatoes use 12 small green tomatoes, use the same ingredients above except increase the salt to 1 cup
- Tomatoes take longer to sour. Leave them on the counter for 2 days, uncovered, then cover and leave on the counter or outside for another 2 to 3 weeks.
- Tomatoes are ready when they change color from light green to dull olive green.
The Cookputercop Kerhonkson, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!