Feta Cheese Marinated In Oil And SpicesFrom oldgringo 5 years ago
- 1 cup feta cheese; cut into 1/2-inch cubes, drained shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes shopping list
- 4 black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano leaves shopping list
- 1 garlic clove; peeled and crushed shopping list
- 1 whole chile de arbol shopping list
- 1 dried whole bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Drain and pat dry the firm cheese*. Carefully cut the cheese into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a clean, sterile sealable jar.
- Pour onto the cheese cubes the salt, pepper flakes, peppercorns and the oregano. Work the crushed garlic clove down the side of the jar so that it shows through the glass on the side. Do likewise with the chile de arbol and the bay leaf.
- Pour the olive oil into the jar until the cheese cubes are covered, then seal it. Gently shake the jar a few times to distribute the seasoning.
- Keep the marinated cheese refrigerated** and use as needed on salads, etc. Bring to room temperature before serving. Covering any food with oil creates an anaerobic environment where pathogenic bacteria might grow. If the contents of the jar has an off order or foams on opening; DO NOT USE! There is usually enough salt in hard aged cheeses to prevent this.
- * Note: Other hard aged cheeses may be used instead of feta; such as cotija, blue cheese, etc.
- ** Note: Olive oil will cloud and thicken somewhat when refrigerated, however it quickly clears on warming to near room temperature. The olive oil make a wonderful dressing for salads and vegetables.