Jitterbugs Bread Pudding with Rum Creme AnglaiseFrom grizzlybear 7 years ago
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups) shopping list
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark rum shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded shopping list
- 2 cups sliced canned peaches in syrup, drained, liquid reserved shopping list
- 1 cup chopped or crushed canned pineapple in syrup, drained, liquid reserved shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 8 thin slices shopping list
- 1 recipe rum Creme Anglaise, recipe follows shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss the bread cubes with the melted butter in a large bowl, spread on a large baking sheet, and bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 7 by 11-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar, rum, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt and whisk to combine. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Add the syrup from both canned, drained fruits and whisk to combine.
- Arrange the fruit over the toasted bread cubes. Pour the custard evenly over the mixture, dot with the sliced butter, and bake until the custard sets, about 35 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the pudding into dessert bowls, ladle 3 to 4 tablespoons of the rum sauce over each serving, and serve.
- Rum Creme Anglaise:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl and stir in the rum. Serve room temperature or chilled.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating4 people
Shay bear that shounds deeeeelucious.JUST A LITTLE MORE RUM AND IT WILL BE GREAT !mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Great post Griz!!! I love a good creme anglaise and the rum just makes this more FUN! Toodles, Notchonotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Oh my goodness!!! WILL try!!angelgal in New Philadelphia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!