Ivars Clam ChowderFrom julesong 9 years ago
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped onions shopping list
- 1 cup finely diced celery shopping list
- 2 cups finely diced potatoes shopping list
- 3/4 cup butter (not margarine) shopping list
- 3/4 cup flour shopping list
- 4 cups warmed half-and-half shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste shopping list
- 1 dash pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Open the canned clams and drain the juice into a medium saucepan. Set the reserved clams aside.
- To the juice add the onions, celery, potatoes, and enough water to just cover. Simmer covered over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce melt the butter over medium heat, then stir in the flour and cook until it becomes a roux and is golden.
- Gradually whisk the half-and-half into the roux. Cook, whisking, until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. (If you'd like your chowder texture thinner, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water, chicken broth, or clam broth.)
- Add the cooked vegetables together with their liquid and the clams, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well, and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
- To learn more about Ivar's, go to: http://www.ivars.net/ Keep clam! :)
The Cookjulesong Seattle, WA
The Rating5 people
Ivars chowder is really good!bettiecooks in Seattle loved it
I love Ivars clam chowder. I get it when ever I go home to Seattle! Thrilled to have the recipe now :)deedeec in Seattle loved it
My Grandson David is going to LOVE this
recipe~ He is VERY PARTICULAR about the
Clam Chowder he eats~and he is only 17 yrs old!
~*~mjcmcook~*~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it