Davis Family CornbreadFrom mellian 9 years ago
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch disposable foil pan or coat with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In an extra-large mixing bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl mix together eggs, milk, and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- 3. Pour into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Using a sharp knife and sawing motion, cut in 24 (approx. 2-inch) squares. Makes 24 servings.
- 50 SERVINGS: Bake the 24-serving recipe three times.
- Test Kitchen Tip: The corn bread is better when made 1 day ahead. Cover tightly with foil. Store at room temperature. Or bake up to 2 months ahead; wrap, label, and freeze.
- Mel's notes: July 4, 2007:
- I used my 14" cast iron skillet and poured the bacon drippings laced with onions and thyme left over from prepping beans earlier in the day. I heated the skillet in the oven with the bacon drippings for about 10 minutes before adding the cornbread batter. Good stuff!
The Cookmellian Deltona, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!