Pumpkin PieFrom momofonesofar 7 years ago
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust shopping list
- 16 ounce can pumpkin (or 2 cups of cooked, mashed pumpkin flesh) shopping list
- 3 medium eggs shopping list
- 1 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- After you have lined the pie plate with the rolled out crust, you can start to prepare the filling. Open up the canned pumpkin and scrape the contents into a big bowl. Crack in the eggs. Measure in the sugar, salt, spices and milk. Beat very well. I use a whisk, but a fork could work if you were diligent. The batter may seem a little thin, that's alright. Gently pour the filling into the unbaked crust. If you have too much filling, you can pour the rest into oiled muffin cups and make pumpkin custard. Fill the crust almost to the top of the crust. Place the pie in the oven. Bake at 450° for ten minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° and bake for 45 minutes. When the pie is done, it will be slightly puffed around the edges, and seem firm when you jiggle the pie on the oven rack. Poke a knife off center to be sure. If it comes out clean, the pie is done. Remove it from the oven and let it sit a while to cool down.
- Note: The pie crust is optional in this recipe. I often bake the filling in a pie plate, or a cake pan without using a pie shell at all. This is called Pumpkin Custard. It tastes the same as pumpkin pie, but is a bit healthier because you don't have the added fat and calories of the traditional pie crust. Personally I believe I like it better with the crust, but let your time limit and waist line be your guide.
The Cookmomofonesofar SC
The Rating3 people
I used the pre-made Pillsbury pie crust for the crust. Which actually tasted pretty good. The pie filling was great too. Kinda mild on the spices, I might try a bit more next time, but not much. It did puff up a bunch in the oven, but then went down...moretashmoore in Fort Meade loved it
Sounds yummy with or without the crust as long as there's a nice dollop of whipped cream or cool whip on top or accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream wouldn't make me mad either.sunpuppy in Terre Haute loved it
yummy!jett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!