BaklavaFrom oanababy 8 years ago
- 24 sheets phyllo pastry shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee) shopping list
- 3 cardamom pods (crushed seeds only, discard husks) shopping list
- 4 tbsp honey shopping list
- 1 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 300 g shelled pistachios shopping list
- 2 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Boil honey, sugar , cardamom and water until syrupy. Add lemon juice, stir to heat through and combine well. Leave syrup aside to cool.
- In food processor, grind pistachios with sugar until coarse.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter/ghee. Layer 12 sheets of phyllo pastry in large baking dish, brushing each sheet with melted butter/ghee thoroughly.
- Spread pistachio mixture evenly over the phyllo.
- Layer the remaining 12 sheets of phyllo pastry over the pistachios, brushing each sheet thoroughly with melted butter/ghee.
- With sharp pointy knife, slice into serving sized pieces, making sure to cut all the way through. It's very important to do this before baking the baklava - it will be impossible to cut it afterwards.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Pour any remaining butter/ghee over the top layer of phyllo. Return to oven, turn down temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 1 hour.
- Pour cold syrup over the baklava. Sprinkle with sugar or decorative pistachios. Leave in oven with heat turned off, with door closed for at least 30 minutes.
- Best served the next day.
The Cookoanababy Edinburgh, GB
The Rating2 people
Usually they use cheaper nuts like walnuts inside, and top the baklava with pistachios for the green colour, but if you can find/afford to use all pistachios, and assuming you like pistachios of course, it's sooo much tastier than with walnuts!oanababy in Edinburgh loved it