Cardamom Poppy Seed CakeFrom vanessa 7 years ago
- 1 cup butter, room temperature shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 5 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom shopping list
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds shopping list
- 1 cup plain yogurt shopping list
- 5 egg whites shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare a fluted or bundt cake pan by thoroughly buttering and flouring the inside. Knock any excess flour out.
- In your mixer bowl cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Now alternately add the flour and the yogurt to the butter mixture and mix it until combined. Add the poppy seeds and mix a little more to combine.
- If you have a spare mixer bowl or are using a hand mixer you can skip this mid-prep cleanup step, if you're like me and you only have one mixer bowl then you'll need to transfer the batter to another bowl and wash the mixer bowl with hot soapy water, rinse well with really hot water and then cool the bowl off with cold water, dry well.
- Add your five egg whites to the mixer bowl and using the whisk attachment beat the whites until they form soft peaks. That means when you pull the whisk attachment out of the beat egg whites they will form a peak that droops to the side.
- Add these whites to the cake batter slowly, working in small amounts of whites but not overworking. I often use a metal offset spatula to sort of cut the whites into the batter before I give it one last, gentle stir/fold with a plastic spatula.
- Put the batter into the pan and even out the top. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes. I usually start checking at 30 minutes and once the top no longer wiggles I'll test it with a skewer.
- Cool well. Delicious naked. If you decide to glaze or ice it let me know how it turns out.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookvanessa Middleton, WI
- Not added to any groups yet!