Spicy Calamari ChowderFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1 large bay leaf, broken in half shopping list
- 2 pounds raw squid rings shopping list
- 2 large celery ribs, diced shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced shopping list
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 4 cups fish stock or clam juice shopping list
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes, with juice shopping list
- 1 ¾ cups crushed tomatoes shopping list
- juice of 1 lime shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 large red potato, and cut into 1-inch diced pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Place chile, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf in the center of a double piece of cheesecloth. Bring up corners and tie into bundle. Set aside.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, and bell pepper to a large Dutch oven over medium-high and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp.
- Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Add fish stock, tomatoes, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and herb bundle to the vegetables and stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium high heat about 20 minutes.
- Add potato to the pot and cook until tender, then add squid rings.
- Stir into vegetables and cook an additional 2 minutes until edges begin to curl.
- Remove from heat, discard the spice bag, and serve.