Potato and Veggie CasseroleFrom lor 7 years ago
- 6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters shopping list
- Note: Yukon Gold or russet potatoes taste good in this recipe as well. shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 4-6 Tbsp. milk shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs of celery, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
- 4 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan or romano cheese (optional) shopping list
- paprika to garnish shopping list
- Note: Again, the Irish in me adds cooked, chopped cabbage ;-) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Sauté the onions, celery and bell pepper for approximately 7 minutes, or until tender, stirring often.
- Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them well and return to the saucepan.
- Add butter and milk.
- Mash together well.
- Add the sautéed vegetables.
- Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 casserole dish.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into the dish and sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serves 4–6