Beef and Onion StewFrom flavors 8 years ago
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium size onions, quartered and thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup dry hearty red wine shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 cup beef broth shopping list
How to make it
- In a large dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of better with 1 tablespoon oil over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook stirring occasionally, until they are golden and very tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Coat the beef cubes in flour, shaking off the excess. Add half of the beef cubes to the pan and cook, turning, until the beef is browned on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with onions. Brown the remaining beef in the remaining butter and oil. Transfer them to the bowl. Add the wine to the pan, cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan for 1 minute.
- Return the meat and onions to the pan. Add the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and broth. Bring to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender when pierced with a fork. If liquid becomes too thick, add more broth, wine, or water.
- Serve with polenta, mashed potatoes, or boiled new potatoes. Also a nice salad and crusty warm bread for dipping is great.
The Cookflavors Algonquin, IL
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!