Twisted Black-Eyed PeasFrom kitchengeeking 7 years ago
How to make it
- Rinse and sort peas and remove any stones. No need to pre-soak.
- Dice onions and sautee for 5 minutes in olive oil. Add salt to sweat.
- After onions are translucent, add ham hocks and thyme. Stir through and continue to sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add peas to pan and cover with broth.
- Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 1 hour and 45 minutes at a low simmer.
- Remove ham hocks from pot, remove meat from bones, shred, return to pot.
- Reseason with salt if needed, season with pepper.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookkitchengeeking Charleston, WV
The Rating4 people
Pot is simmering now. Added 2 bay leaves and 2 cloves of garlic so if the soup doesn't turn out, it's my fault. Took 12 cups to cover the ingredients and the ham hocks were straight from the freezer so the soup will probably be simmering a little lon...morepointsevenout in Athens loved it
A very good recipe. I'm not all that excited about all the fat on the hocks, but then again I don't have to eat that part.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
This is so Southern --I love it! I know what I'm taking to the family get-together this Christmas --this!! Great recipe!wdsdy in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!