Elegant Braised Short RibsFrom tsehnert 6 years ago
- 6 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 1 rib pieces shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbl olive oil shopping list
- 3 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine shopping list
- 1 (28-32 oz.) can whole tomatoes including liquid (coarsley pureed) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups beef or veal broth shopping list
- 2 Tbl Worchestershire sauce shopping list
- 3 (3 by 1 inch) strips orange zest, removed with vegetable peeler shopping list
- 2 tsp chooped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled shopping list
- 10 oz pearl onions ( about 2 cups) blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes and peeled shopping list
- 1 pound bag baby carrots, peeled shopping list
- Finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Pat short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper. In a heavy 6 quart kettle, heat oil over moderately high heat, until hot but not smoking, and brown ribs in batches, Transferring with tongs into large bowl.
- Add chopped onions to kettle and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes, broth, Worchestershire sauce, zest, rosemary, and salt and bring to a boil. Add ribs including any juices that have accumulated in bowl and simmer, covered 30 minutes.
- Add pearl onions and carrots, stirring and pushing down to make sure they are covered by liquid, and simmer covered 3 1/2- 4 hours, or until meat is tender. Transfer meat, pearl onions, and carrots with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Reduce braising liquid, if necessary. Return meat and vegetables to kettle and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stew may be made 3 days ahead and cooled, uncovered before chilling covered. Reheat stew, adding water as necessary to thin sauce a little. Serve stew sprinkled with parsley.
- * These are very, very good served over my garlic mashed potato recipe.
- * Wine suggestion: California Syrah- Edmunds St. John, California
The Cooktsehnert Lincoln, NE
The Rating2 people
I have been on a short rib kick. Can't wait to try these. I have a favorite bed and breakfast..it is not the usual type. It is a five star. They had the best short ribs ever. It had coffee in it. They were saucey, thick and oh so good. I can't...morerecipediva in Philly loved it
Sounds like a really tasty meal. 5 forksbrianna in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!