Amazing Creme CaramelFrom dariana 7 years ago
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 medium oranges, lemons, or limes shopping list
- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream shopping list
- 2 3-inch cinnamon sticks, broken up shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
- Raspberry Sauce or Hot chocolate Sauce (see recipes below) shopping list
- fresh raspberries (optional) shopping list
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- To caramelize the sugar: In a heavy medium skillet, cook the 1/3 cup sugar over medium-high heat until the sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally. Don�t stir. Once the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes more or until all of the sugar melts and is golden brown, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon.
- Remove skillet from heat and immediately divide the caramelized sugar among six 6-ounce custard cups, or pour caramelized sugar into a 9-inch flan pan or a 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan. Working quickly, rotate cups or pan so sugar coats the bottom as evenly as possible. Cool the caramelized sugar.
- For custard: Remove the peel from the oranges, lemons, or limes with a vegetable peeler. In a medium saucepan, heat the half-and-half, citrus peel, and cinnamon sticks over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until tiny bubbles just form around the edge.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and yolks in a medium bowl until mixed. Gradually whisk in the 2/3 cup sugar and set aside.
- Strain the half-and-half mixture; discard the citrus strips and cinnamon pieces. Slowly stir the hot half-and-half into the egg mixture. Stir in the vanilla. Place the prepared custard cups or the flan pan in a shallow roasting pan on an oven rack. Pour egg mixture into the custard cups or pan. Pour hot tap water into the roasting pan around the cups or pan to a depth of about 1/2 inch.
- Bake dessert in a 325 degree F oven about 35 minutes for custard cups (45 minutes for flan pan) or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 1 hour. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, unmold the flan by loosening the edges with a knife. Slip the end of knife down the sides of cup or pan to let in air. Carefully invert a dessert plate over a custard cup (or serving platter over pan); turn dishes over together to release custard. Spoon any of the caramelized sugar that remains in cup or pan on top. Serve with Raspberry Sauce or Hot Chocolate Sauce. If you like, garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
- Raspberry Sauce: n a food processor or blender, combine 3 cups fresh red raspberries or one 12-ounce package frozen and thawed red raspberries or 3 cups fresh strawberries or 12 ounces frozen and thawed unsweetened strawberries, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cover and process or blend until mixture is smooth. Strain sauce and discard seeds. Cover and chill until serving time or up to 5 days. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
- Hot Chocolate Sauce: In a heavy small saucepan, melt 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces, and 1/4 cup butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Add 2/3 cup sugar; gradually stir in one 5-ounce can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently on low 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat. Cool slightly. Makes bout 1-1/2 cups.
The Cookdariana IL
The Rating6 people
Thank you Kristopher. Most of the thanks and my interest in food would go to my Mom. Although we are Southern cooks by birth, I have lived all over the US and several countries.dariana in loved it
Yummy yummy!!!!wokkingmum in Singapore loved it
Thanks ladies, hope you all try it and enjoy!dariana in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!