Candied Baked Sweet Potato and ApplesFrom oldgringo 8 years ago
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 2 Red Delicious apples; peeled, cored and sliced into rings shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
- 1 28-oz can sweet potatoes; drained shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon Apple spice Seasoning; See recipe shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry sherry wine shopping list
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark seedless raisins shopping list
- 1/4 cup light seedless raisins shopping list
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces shopping list
- 8 maraschino cherries shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a shallow baking dish 8 X 11.5-inches.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and reserve the liquid in a small sauce pan.
- To the sweet potato liquid add the brown sugar, Apple Spice Seasoning, orange juice, sherry and Maraschino Cherry Juice.
- Heat to boiling and continue cooking to reduce the liquid to a thick syrup (soft candy stage).
- Remove the apple's cores and slice the apples into 3/8-inch cross section rings.
- Arrange on the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Drizzle on the lemon juice.
- Slice the drained sweet potatoes into 3/8-inch slices and arrange on and around the sliced apple rings.
- Sprinkle the dark and light raisins and pecans over the top of the sweet potatoes and apples.
- Arrange the Maraschino Cherries in the dish.
- Pour the candy syrup over the top of the fruit.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Note: An excellent condiment for Roast Turkey or Pork