Game Hens with PomegranatesFrom nikchick 9 years ago
- Seeds from one large pomegranate shopping list
- 1 cup marsala wine shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves shopping list
- salt and black pepper shopping list
- 6 Cornish game hens shopping list
- 6 thin slices of pancetta shopping list
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 12 fresh sage leaves shopping list
- 2 oranges, peel cut into 1/4 inch slices shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl, just cover pomegranate seeds with the Marsala. You may have to use more Marsala. Gently mix and set aside, covered, for 1 hour.
- Season the birds inside and out with the salt and pepper. Drain the pomegranate seeds and mint, reserving the liquid. Stuff the birds with the seed, reserving a few for later, and the mint. Using a needle, truss each bird tightly so that the inner cavity is closed and sealed shut by the two legs. Wrap each bird in a slice of pancetta, using your palms to press the pancetta tight against the bird.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In an oven-proof saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add 3 sage leaves and cook 1 minute before adding hens. Brown the birds on all sides over high heat until well browned, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the remaining sage leaves and the pomegranate seeds. Place the pan in the oven for 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Drizzle the hens with 3 tablespoons of the remaining Marsala and pat with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Baste the hens with the pan juices and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add the orange peel and saute gently for 5 minutes, stirring gently so that the peel absorbs the butter. Remove sauteed peels from the heat.
- Remove hens from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle the hens with orange peel and drizzle with pan juices and any loose pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.
The Cooknikchick Seattle, WA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!