Fancy Brown Rice and French Green LentilsFrom darmorrow 9 years ago
- 1 cup French green lentils- don't use regular green lentils as they mush out and totally change the texture oft the dish. The french green lentils keep their shape shopping list
- 1 cup brown basmati rice shopping list
- 1 tbsp canola oil shopping list
- 1 tbsp ghee shopping list
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida shopping list
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped onions shopping list
- 1 inch cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp turmeric shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne shopping list
- 6 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup coconut milk, stirred, low fat shopping list
How to make it
- Combine rice and lentils. Wash thoroughly - rinsing twice. Set aside.
- In a pot large enough to cook the rice and lentils melt the ghee and oil together. Heat o high for 1 minute
- Add asafoetida and stir for 15 seconds.
- Add cumin seeds immediately, stir and let sizzle 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and cinnamon, stirring well into the cumin seeds.
- Saute onions for 8-10 minutes or until brown
- Add turmeric, salt and cayenne. Cook 1 minute.
- Add water, coconut milt and the mixed lentils and rice.
- Increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- cover and simmer for at 1 least 1 hour,
- Stir and ;make sure rice cooked.
- Let rice to sit 5 minutes.