Tasty Sheperds PieFrom thepiggs 9 years ago
How to make it
- Baker’s Notes: How much of each, you say! That depends on you, but here is what we use. For an 8 1/2 x 13-inch baking dish, a pound and half to two pounds of hamburger is about right. Use one large onion and a couple cups of vegetables. You’ll want three to six cups of mashed potatoes depending on how high you want to pile them on. Add enough milk to make smooth potatoes so that you can trowel across the top of your pie with a spatula. Don’t use too much gravy—just a cup or two--and keep it thick so that your casserole is moist but not runny. If you are using a smaller pan, cut these quantities in half.
- Sauté the ground beef and onions. Season the meat as desired.
- Make gravy with the drippings.
- Mix the gravy and frozen peas or beans together with the meat and onions.
- Place the meat and vegetable mixture in a large baking dish.
- Top with the seasoned mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes barely start to brown.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika and cook for three to five more minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Suggestion: Garnish with fresh, diced tomatoes.
People Who Like This Dish 38
The Cookthepiggs MO
The Rating7 people
Shepherd's Pie has long been one of my faves!! HIGH FIVE! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Awesome recipe but I am just wondering on how much to use of everything, do you use homemade pastry or store bought?aussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
It was indeed tasty. Used smoked paprika. Topped with a fresh tomato.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!