Eggplant SandwichFrom lenora 6 years ago
- 1 large eggplant, washed and sliced shopping list
- 1 deli sliced mozzarella, (3' X 4") about 1/2" thick shopping list
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced shopping list
- 2 cups of italian seasoned bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/2 cup of flour shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 cup of milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. garlic powder shopping list
- 1 jar of marinara sauce (or make your own) shopping list
- 2 cups of vegetable oil (for frying) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl pour the milk and the 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir until dissolved.
- Place the sliced eggplant in the milk and cover to marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to medium (to when a drop of water will cause a sizzle)
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish along with the seasoned salt and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Place beaten egg in a shallow dish next to the flour and bread crumbs. An assembly line has been formed.
- Take the eggplant from the refrigerator and take a marinaded slice and dip into flour.
- Take the floured slice and dip into egg.
- Take the floured and egg coated slcied and dip into bread crumbs.
- Repeat until there are enough slices to cover the bottom of the heated frying pan (about 6).
- Brown each slice on both sides. 16 slices in all.
- Do the same with the sliced green tomatoes (use the same milk).8 slices in all.
- This would also be done for the cheese slices (8 slices in all) but will have less cooking time. The cheese will be soft but will not lose its shape completely.
- Assemble; with a slice of breaded eggplant on the bottom. Next comes a slice of breaded green tomato followed by the cheese and another slice of eggplant ontop. The marinara sauce is poured over the sandwich or can be used as a spread.