Polski Potato And Sauerkraut SoupFrom lor 8 years ago
- 6-7 medium size potatoes. cut it into small chunks shopping list
- 1 (15 ounce) can/jar sauerkraut. drained shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced shopping list
- 1 - 2 ribs of celery, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, 1 bay leaf, 5 pepper corns and a sprig of thyme or rosemary tied in a small piece of cheesecloth shopping list
- Note: If you have juniper berries in your cupboard, then add a couple to the above blend shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 - 3 Tbsps. sour cream shopping list
- 1 lb. Polish kielbasa, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar shopping list
- parsley for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Place onions, garlic and celery into the saucepan with a splash of oil and saute over low heat until onions are light golden in colour but do not brown.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes with salt and bouquet garni
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes then add sauerkraut and Polish kielbasa.
- Cook for at least 25-30 minutes or until potates are soft.
- Add sour cream, pepper and vinegar if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Note: If you are not familiar with the term "bouquet garni" it is a bundle of herbs tied into a piece of cheesecloth. This is done so that you taste the essence of the herbs without actually consuming the seeds, stems or leaves.