Seafood ChowderFrom elle 6 years ago
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and diced) shopping list
- 1 quart of stock (I use 2 cups fish stock and 2 cups chicken stock for richer flavor) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 ounces salt pork (cut into small pieces) shopping list
- 1 large onion (peeled and diced) shopping list
- 2 cans evaporated milk, or 3 cups light cream (I use the cream, but she says that if you're going to leave this on the heat for a while, use the evap. milk, as it's more stable and won't curdle.) shopping list
- 2 TBSP butter shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 3/4-1 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 2 tsp dried parsley shopping list
- 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined) shopping list
- 1/2 lb bay scallops shopping list
- 1 7 oz can chopped clams shopping list
- 1 good size fillet of firm whitefish (haddock or cod) cut into approx 2 inch pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Peel and dice potatoes and put them in the stock to boil. Add the bay leaf.
- Cook the salt pork in a skillet over medium heat until enough fat is rendered to saute the onions in.
- Remove the salt pork from the pan and cook the onions in the rendered fat.
- When the onions are translucent, add them to the potatoes in the stock. (Potatoes are ready when you can bite into them, but they are still firm.)
- Return the salt pork to the skillet and continue to cook until they're brown and crispy. Save them for garnishing the chowder later.
- Add the butter, thyme and parsley to the stock.
- Next add all of the seafood to the chowder. It should not be boiling, just simmering lightly. You don't want to overcook the seafood.
- Add the cream or evap. milk, season with salt and pepper, and just heat until the cream is heated through, don't boil.
- Serve in warm bowls, garnished with the salt pork.
People Who Like This Dish 35
The Cookelle NH
The Rating7 people
The ultimate seafood chowder!YUMfoodandaflick in Overland Park loved it
I made this up using the seafood readily available to us here in New Zealand and it was a real hit with the teenage son. Will make it again for sure!!savblancgirl in Blenheim loved it
This is delicious and very easy to put together. I love chowder, any time of year. Wonderful post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!