Strawberry Stuffed Lime CupcakesFrom castingcook 9 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt shopping list
- 2 large eggs, room temperature shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice shopping list
- 1 drop green food coloring shopping list
- 6 large ripe strawberries, hulled shopping list
- Green sanding sugar shopping list
- fresh mint leaves or candied leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove. Cool on the rack completely.
- For icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar and lime zest in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and mix with an electric mixer to make a firm but pourable icing. (If needed, add up to 1 teaspoon more juice, but take care if the icing is too loose it doesn't set properly.) Add food color to make a pale pastel green icing.
- To assemble: Remove cupcake from its liner. Cut and remove a strawberry (coned) shaped portion of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, leaving about 1/2 to 1-inch of cake in the bottom. Stuff each cake with a strawberry and cover with a little bit of cake. Spoon and spread icing over the top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with green sanding sugar. Top with small mint leaves or candied leaves.