Victorian Sponge CakeFrom cakelady 5 years ago
- 1 C white sugar shopping list
- 1 C unsalted butter (room temp) shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 T warm milk shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 C white cake flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- Zest from 1/2 lemon, coarsely grated shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease an eight inch cake pan with shortening and flour it, tapping out excess flour. Make sure entire pan is greased and covered with flour very well.
- In a food processor, blend lemon zest and sugar, until it is fine.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to softened butter in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy, for about 3 minutes, on medium speed.
- In a small bowl, sepearte from sugar mixture, slightly beat eggs, milk, and vanilla together.
- In another seperate bowl, wisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. .
- Add the 1/2 of the egg mixture to the sugar in the mixing bowl, while mixing on low speed.
- After you have added 1/2 of the egg mixture, add 1/2 of the flour mixture, on low speed, add the egg mixture and the flour mixture again, alternating the two, until all is incorporated together.
- Beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- The longer you beat it, the more air will be incorporated into the batter.
- Pour batter in greased and floured cake pan and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and spongy in the middle and a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes in the pan before releasing it on a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before icing.