Egg Drop Soup Fast Food VersionFrom deanrendar 6 years ago
- 2 cans chicken broth (or 4 cups from powdered broth) shopping list
- 2 Tbs soy sauce shopping list
- 1 Tbs sesame oil shopping list
- 2 Tbs corn Starch (dissolved in 4 Tbs cold water) shopping list
- 1/3 Cup peas shopping list
- 1/3 Cup carrots (cubed pea sized) shopping list
- 1/4 Tsp grated ginger shopping list
- 1/4 Tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 Tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Tumeric (For that authentic bright yellow color) shopping list
- 1/2 Cup tofu (silken, cubed larger than carrots) shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
How to make it
- Bring chicken broth to a boil and stir in dissolved corn starch mixture.
- Once thickened from corn starch, stir in soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, salt, white pepper, and turmeric
- In different pot have carrots and peas boiling in water (cooking in separate pots so the egg won’t stick to veggies and tofu)
- Beat 3 Eggs lightly, but not to the point they are bubbly, just yellow with some few darker yellow splotches
- Over broth, suspend a fork 10 inches above center of pot, place a cracker or cereal box near the pot of broth, then place a heavy book on top of the box, and place the fork handle with the angle side down inside the pages of the book so it hangs right over the pot with at least 6 inches for the egg to fall into the broth.
- Add tofu cubes to other pot for quick heating in water with veggies for 5 mins.
- Remove broth pot from heat completely
- Immediately start to slowly pour the beat eggs onto the backside of the fork so it runs town the back the fork, use a cup with a pouring spout for better and slower pouring precision. As the egg streams contact the broth, they will gently cook through the residual heat, and form soft, beautiful, UNIFORM ribbons. Stir entire pot with other hand as you pour, stir slow enough so egg streams doesn’t fall on each other and “cross streams” causing them to form clumps. "Light and Velvety" is the texture we want the eggs. And stir in one direction only.
- From the other pot, drain carrots, peas, and tofu and add them to egg drop pot.
- Do not apply heat any further to completed soup, or egg ribbons will go RUBBERY.
- Optional:Add more soy and white pepper to taste (I like a lot of both). Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro. Add 1/3 cup browned ground pork bits from a frying pan or canned crab meat for a meatier soup
The Cookdeanrendar Chino, CA
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!