Diabetic Lemon-almond SquaresFrom jo_jo_ba 8 years ago
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground almonds shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter, cold shopping list
- 2 tbsp shortening shopping list
- 1 tsp almond extract shopping list
- Several tablespoons of cold water shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- ½ cup Splenda granular shopping list
- 2 tbsp honey shopping list
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled shopping list
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated lemon rind shopping list
- ¼ cup crumbled amoretti cookies shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix flours and almond meal in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it is coarse-meal textured.
- Stir in almond extract and 2 tablespoons of cold water, adding water gradually to form dough that is pliable but not too sticky.
- Press into the bottom and partially up sides of an 8” or 9” square pan. Dock crust all over with a fork.
- Bake 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350F.
- Beat eggs, Splenda and honey with electric beaters until creamy.
- Mix in lemon juice, butter, and lemon rind.
- Pour mixture into baked pastry.
- Sprinkle amoretti crumbs over the lemon filling.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and chill before serving.