Thai fish cakes with pickled cucumberFrom watson2167 8 years ago
- 800g firm, white-fleshed fish fillets* shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
- 2 small birdseye chillies, seeded, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped coriander shopping list
- 3 lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways shopping list
- 2 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice (about 1 lime) shopping list
- 1 tbs fish sauce shopping list
- 1 tbs brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup coriander leaves shopping list
- 2 tbs vegetable oil shopping list
- Steamed jasmine or long-grain rice and lime wedges, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Process fish in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to a large bowl. Add garlic, 1 chopped chilli and chopped coriander, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Shape heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into 'cakes'.
- Using a teaspoon, remove seeds from cucumbers. Discard seeds then slice cucumbers thinly on the diagonal. Place cucumbers, shallots, remaining chilli, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve then gently stir in coriander leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook fish cakes, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Serve with pickled cucumber, steamed rice and lime wedges.