Thumbprint CookiesFrom batista_baron 6 years ago
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup or 1 stick vegetable shortening shopping list
- 3 large eggs, seperated shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans (optional) shopping list
- 1 cup preserves or jam, or Hershey kisses shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Adjust rack to middle position
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with non-stick spray
- Beat brown sugar and shortening with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, water, vanilla, and salt; beat until well combined. Add flour on low speed until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a shallow bowl until foamy. Place pecans in a seperate shallow bowl.
- Divide dough into 48 equal portions. Form into balls by rolling between your palms.
- Dip each dough ball into the egg whites, then roll into the pecans and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using the back of a teaspoon or your thumb, make a rounded indentation in the top of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes; remove from oven. It may be necessary to press the indentation again.
- Fill each cookie with a small teaspoon of jam or preserves if desired.
- Return each cookie to oven; bake another 5-7 minutes or until light browned on the bottom.
- Remove from oven.
- If using Hershey kisses press into tops of warm cookies.
- Let cool on baking sheet.