Quick Bread and Butter PicklesFrom nlo209 6 years ago
- 12 medium-sized cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup salt shopping list
- 3 cups vinegar shopping list
- 3 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric shopping list
- 1/4 cup mustard seed shopping list
- 2 tsp. celery seed shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers, onions and salt. Let the mixture stand for 3 hours, then pour it into a colander to drain. Rinse with cold water, then drain again.
- In a 8 to 10 quart saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and add the drained cucumber and onion slices. Reduce heat to low, bring just to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes. Avoid boiling to prevent the cucumber slices from softening too much. They should remain crisp.
- Cool the pickles you want to serve immediately and pack the rest in hot sterilized jars for later.
The Cooknlo209 Toronto, CA
The Rating4 people
OMG do I love these, thanks for the great post.henrie in Savannah loved it
these are the pickles my mom use to make. i have been wanting the recipie and now i can have it. thanks for the post. jobigstmpr in Edgewood loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!