Quick Bread and Butter PicklesFrom nlo209 7 years ago
- 12 medium-sized cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup salt shopping list
- 3 cups vinegar shopping list
- 3 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric shopping list
- 1/4 cup mustard seed shopping list
- 2 tsp. celery seed shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers, onions and salt. Let the mixture stand for 3 hours, then pour it into a colander to drain. Rinse with cold water, then drain again.
- In a 8 to 10 quart saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and add the drained cucumber and onion slices. Reduce heat to low, bring just to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes. Avoid boiling to prevent the cucumber slices from softening too much. They should remain crisp.
- Cool the pickles you want to serve immediately and pack the rest in hot sterilized jars for later.
The Cooknlo209 Toronto, CA
The Rating4 people
these are the pickles my mom use to make. i have been wanting the recipie and now i can have it. thanks for the post. jobigstmpr in Edgewood loved it
OMG do I love these, thanks for the great post.henrie in Savannah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!