Penne Pasta with San Marzano Tomatoes and ZucchiniFrom ironchef 9 years ago
- For the pasta: shopping list
- 1 lb. penne pasta shopping list
- 6 quarts cold water shopping list
- 2 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- For the sauce: shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium white onion, diced shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, diced shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red chili Flakes shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 28 oz. can, whole San Marzano tomatoes and their juices; tomatoes crushed or diced shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, diced shopping list
- 2 tsp. Fresh thyme shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- 1 cup Fresh Ground or Grated Pecorino-romano cheese (I like to throw small pieces into a food processor and pulse) shopping list
- High Quality extra-virgin olive oil to finish shopping list
How to make it
- In a large stock pot, heat the water and salt until boiling. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil until lightly smoking. Add the onion and celery, season with salt, and saute until browned. Add the garlic and chili flakes and saute until the edges of the garlic just start to brown. Add the white wine to deglaze and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes, the reserved juice from the tomatoes, and the zucchini, and simmer until the liquid thickens slightly and the zucchini is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the fresh thyme, season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper, then add the pasta to the sauce and toss.
- Divide the pasta into four bowls. Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil over each portion, and generously sprinkle with the cheese.