Oxtail Consomme Beef StockFrom jaeleepoms 5 years ago
How to make it
- Pat the oxtails dry and season with salt and pepper. Cut onions into quarters, and carrots and celery into one inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. In a large roasting pan combine the oxtails, onions, carrots, celery. Roast mixture in the middle of the oven, turning the oxtails until they are very browned, and transfer it to a large stockpot with the 6 cups of water.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with the wine over high heat, scraping up the brown bits. Add the deglazing liquid to the stockpot with peppercorns. Bring the liquid to a boil, skimming the froth, and simmer gently, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Ladle the mixture through a sieve lined with a rinsed and squeezed kitchen towel into a large bowl. You can reserve the oxtails for another use, but discard the remaining solids. The bouillon can be made 3 days in advance and kept chilled, or you can freeze to store longer. Discard excess fat (leave enough to cover soup when chilled). Makes 6 cups.
The Cookjaeleepoms Mason, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!