Ham Rice and BeansFrom dixiediner 8 years ago
- 3/4 cup quick cooking brown rice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 2 cups cubed lean reduced sodium ham shopping list
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- 4 lime wedges shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions, omitting the salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin; cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ham, beans, tomato sauce, and pepper sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the ham mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat; stir in the cilantro. Serve with the rice and lime wedges.