Jinga Salan Pakistani Shrimp CurryFrom busmamawilliams 8 years ago
- 1 potato, peeled, quartered & sliced very thin (cover potato slices with water until ready to use, so they don't turn brown. Drain water at time of adding them to pan.) shopping list
- 1 pound medium shrimp; shelled & deveined shopping list
- 2 medium yellow onions; small dice shopping list
- 1 garlic clove; minced shopping list
- 1 or 2 fresh green chiles; minced (jalapeno or serrano chiles ) shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed shopping list
- 2 tomatoes; chopped coarsely shopping list
- 1/4 cup cooking oil shopping list
How to make it
- Salt cleaned shrimp well & leave sitting for 1/2 hour. After 1/2 hour, rinse shrimp well & pat dry with a paper towel. Add the oil to a wok & let it get very hot. Add mustard seed. When seeds have finished popping, add onion & fry until soft & light yellow. Add minced garlic & fry for few seconds, then add tomatoes & fry very well (turn flame down to medium & don't scorch tomatoes). Fry for about 5 minutes until you see the oil has seperated & come to top of wok. Add vinegar & fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Next add drained potatoes & fry for 3 minutes longer. Add green chiles, cayenne & 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fry for 2 minutes. Now add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups water, stir well & simmer until sauce is slightly thickened (about 12 to 15 minutes). Add shrimp and continue cooking only until shrimp are opaque (don't overcook shrimp or they will be tough & rubbery).
- Serve with white rice or pita bread.
The Cookbusmamawilliams Clifton, NJ
The Rating4 people
Sounds fantastic! Gonna make this one soon, I have the shrimp and all the ingredients except I'm out of mustard seeds!!! Great post!shirleyoma in Cove loved it
Sounds great...We make Fish Curry in the same way.Thanks for sharing.ambus in Lahore loved it
Thanks for a teriffic post,looking forward to partaking...Bobrobertg in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!