Potato and Sweet Potato SoupFrom nikchick 8 years ago
- 7 cups vegetable stock shopping list
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 large leek, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 cup low-fat milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried dillweed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon tamari or shoyu soy sauce shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 3 ounces Neufchatel reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces shopping list
- minced fresh parsley or dill shopping list
How to make it
- Bring 6 cups of the stock to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the potatoes and sweet potatoes and reduce the heat to a medium simmer. Partially cover and let the potatoes cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook heat the oil and butter in a skillet. Add the leek and saute until it is tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the paprika and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Add the remaining 1 cup of stock and stir to deglaze.
- Add this mixture to the simmering potatoes and stock. Add the milk, dill, tamari, pepper, and salt. (Since it takes a while for the full dill flavor to emerge, if you are serving the soup right away, you might want to add more dill; if it will sit for an hour or be reheated the next day, this amount is adequate.)
- Reduce heat and add the pieces of cheese. Stir vigorously until the cheese melts into the soup. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with parsley or dill and serve hot.